From The Other Side

If you would have told me a month ago that in four weeks I would be able to shovel piles of dirt and lift boxes of plants, I would never have believed you. 


Here I am, 3.5 months post-surgery and finally, FINALLY, feeling healed. I went back to work on April 12th and while that first week was utterly exhausting, it was also exhilarating to return to my classroom and my kids. I had forgotten what it felt like to have a purpose and after approximately 5 seconds around my students, I remembered exactly why I’m a teacher. A classroom is where I am meant to be and where I am happiest! Well, aside from the beach and our cabin, at least. (wink)  


In this past week, I have felt more healed than ever before. Instead of falling onto the couch everyday after work, I came home and worked in the yard (in between Little League games, of course)! And instead of crawling into bed around 7pm each night, I lasted until between 8-9 PM. The best part has been actually feeling TIRED at bedtime and sleeping like a rock until my alarm each morning.


Clint and I started a fairly large landscaping project this weekend. Yesterday, as I ran around town getting plants and groceries, then came home to shoveling dirt and moving plants, then went to a 5-year-old’s birthday party, I realized...I couldn’t do ANY of this a month ago!  I would have been so exhausted just from getting groceries! 


So, today, as I’m a little less active because of the rainy weather outside, I’m enjoying a slower day and counting my blessings that I have mobility and energy to spare. I’m so excited that I can do things again that I’ve already made our meals for the week, packed our lunches, taken care of some online projects, and done my laundry. 


I head back to the doctor tomorrow for what I hope is my LAST doctor’s appointment for a long, long time. I am looking forward to sharing my progress with her and making more plans for my recovery, but I will also be happy to not see that office again for a long time.


I’m officially on the other side and it has never felt so good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hysterectaversary!

Making plans, and other jokes about life.

Cautiously Optimistic