Curve Balls
My dearest family and friends: Yesterday, I went to the emergency room for a hypertension crisis. As a relatively healthy 34 year old female who has had low blood pressure her entire life, it was quite alarming to see numbers near 180/115 on three separate blood pressure monitors.
Apparently, this saga began sometime between December 2017 and August 2018. In December 2017, I went to the doctor and had my usual, perfect blood pressure of 110/65. At a different doctor's office in August 2018, my high blood pressure was noted, but attributed to nerves. The same thing happened in October, and again last week. Last week, I was told that I should begin checking my blood pressure occasionally to make sure this is something that only happens when I am at the doctor. Imagine my surprise when, yesterday morning, I checked my blood pressure on a whim at Rite Aid and saw those huge numbers flash on the screen. The colorful wheel of blood pressure zones was actually maxed out with my results.
At the urging of my parents, I sought immediate medical attention at the emergency room. I was informed that my blood pressure levels are in the range of a hypertension crisis and are basically hovering in the "stroke zone." The emergency room was able to lower my blood pressure with medication-not a fun experience when your body is used to a 180/115 and it drops to 105/70-and ran a myriad of tests and scans, all of which came back clear. There wasn't anything else they could do for me, so I was instructed to see my primary care physician today.
Unfortunately, at my doctor's appointment this morning, my blood pressure was back up to 170/115, which means this wasn't a temporary situation and my body is not regulating my blood pressure like it should be. Not only does this put me at an alarmingly high risk of stroke, it also damages vital organs like my kidneys and heart. I am now taking blood pressure medication in hopes of lowering my results to healthier levels. Once they lower and maintain, we can begin the process of figuring out WHY this is happening.
In the meantime, I'm laying low and trying to adjust my medication accordingly. I am monitoring my blood pressure from home and have two wonderful nursemaids tending to my needs. That being said, I will happily and eagerly take any prayers, positive vibes, or other good juju you can send my way to get this situation under control.
2019 is certainly starting off with a bang!
At the urging of my parents, I sought immediate medical attention at the emergency room. I was informed that my blood pressure levels are in the range of a hypertension crisis and are basically hovering in the "stroke zone." The emergency room was able to lower my blood pressure with medication-not a fun experience when your body is used to a 180/115 and it drops to 105/70-and ran a myriad of tests and scans, all of which came back clear. There wasn't anything else they could do for me, so I was instructed to see my primary care physician today.
Unfortunately, at my doctor's appointment this morning, my blood pressure was back up to 170/115, which means this wasn't a temporary situation and my body is not regulating my blood pressure like it should be. Not only does this put me at an alarmingly high risk of stroke, it also damages vital organs like my kidneys and heart. I am now taking blood pressure medication in hopes of lowering my results to healthier levels. Once they lower and maintain, we can begin the process of figuring out WHY this is happening.
In the meantime, I'm laying low and trying to adjust my medication accordingly. I am monitoring my blood pressure from home and have two wonderful nursemaids tending to my needs. That being said, I will happily and eagerly take any prayers, positive vibes, or other good juju you can send my way to get this situation under control.
2019 is certainly starting off with a bang!
Comments
Post a Comment